The first written document that mentions the city is from year 869; it is the “Codice Cavense” (Codex Diplomaticus Cavensis) which talks about a Lombard Ebolitan family in the following way:
"Gariperga is wife of Ermenardo who servant of the palace, is Gariperto’s daughter who was also a servant of Palace in Eboli, Gariperga switches to the service of Landelaica wife of the Salernitan Prince Guaiferio with four sons and three daughters. "
This quote is interesting both historically and archaeologically since the term “servant of palace” does not compare to the roman use of the term servant to say slave; instead it is used for officials of the Principality of Salerno whose role was to monitor the socio-economic affairs of the centre.
Along the Via G. Genovese, north to the corner of A. Vacca one can observe the presence of a wall; remains of a fortress with building techniques similar to those of the Lombards.
In 1047 Eboli is referred to as a “castellum” for the first time when the Urania countess offers this territory to the church of S. Nicola di Gallocanta di Vietri sul Mare.
At the end of the ninth century many Basilian monasteries were founded (named after the followers of S.Basil-330-379 AD) in the Lombard Campania territory. Soon enough, these monks, along with groups of seculars moved to Eboli and there they remained. This is proved by the presence of parishes such as S. Nicola de Schola Graeca, the church of Ss. Cosma and Damiano and the church and monastery of S. Giovanni de Gerosolmitano.