Other churches in the Historic Centre
The Church of San Marco al Castello, located within the impressive Castle of Eboli, was built most likely at the same time as the castle. The first documented report of the church is dated March 1135. It is single naved and it has three altars. On the central altar there is a picture, from the first decade of the eighteenth century, depicting the Madonna of Carmel with the Baby resting on clouds with two flying angels who are about to crown her, down to the right there is an imposing St. Mark, patron of the church, as he writes on a huge book, behind him St. Nicholas of Bari. On the left side there is S. Teresa of Avila in prayer with St. Apollonia behind. On the left there is a painting of St. Christopher with the Christ Child on his shoulders, on the other side a picture, always in canvas, depicting St. Charles Borromeo. On the right wall there is a fresco of the castle. Today the church is open for worship. Institute ICATT - placed inside the castle as its chaplaincy- but is not open to the public, except for very rare events.
Near the archaeological site of the Industrial Area is the old church of St. Margherita of Antiochia. A first document that mentions it is dated 1382, when the noble Nicola Massacanina, lying seriously ill, draws up his last will, leaving legacies to ebolitan churches, including the church of St. Margherita. It is mentioned in another document dated 1429. In other documents of the fifteenth century it is said that the churches of St. Margaret and St. Mary were of the Ragho and Cefalo families. After the promotion of the church of S. Maria della Pietà to Collegiate church, the primicerius Giovan Battista Gallippo took possession of it on 8 March 1536. Inside you can admire the statue of the Saint and a fresco depicting Santa Margherita, recently restored. In Eboli Santa Margherita was revered for relieving headaches. With a popular invocation - that united the sacred with the profane - women from Eboli would say: "Santa Margherita vergin and zit fange passà Uocchie cigliun and evil 'and cap"
The Church of St. Joseph stands in front of the Collegiate Church of Santa Maria della Pietà. In the Middle Ages strangers who came from distant lands arrived to Porta Santa Caterina, one of the five doors of entry to the village, so called because it was by the parish of St. Catherine (now called St. Joseph's Church) which is documented for the first time in 1215 and abolished in the year 1652 to be annexed to the neighboring parish of St. Bartholomew the Apostle.
In the church of Santa Caterina at the end of the eighteenth century, settled the Congregation of St. Joseph; in it we celebrate Saint Lucia on December 13 and St. Joseph on March 19 with a procession.