The archaeological site of San Vito al Sele is near the right bank of the river Sele in Santa Cecilia di Eboli. The material found dates all the way to V-IV c. b.C. and through to XVI c. a.D.. The site contains the church dedicated to San Vito strategically positioned by the river. The excavation of this area was lead by the University of Salerno between 1987 and 1992 in collaboration with archaeological groups. Further excavations took place in 2004. The remains of a building complex were found, it's initial construction most likely dates back to IV-III century b.C., however the remains from these years are very scarce due to the proximity of the river. The presence of polychromati-mosaic covered pavements indicates that this settlement was based around a cult and these date back to end of V and beginning of VI century a.D.. Remains of a necropolis from this same period were found in 2004. Out of these discoveries, the most outstanding were two tombs. One of them containing two bronze chain necklaces with bronze coins form imperial roman times. The second tomb contained pieces of a necklace made of glass paste. This settlement was within a net of villages form high medieval times which occupied the Sele plain. They had chapels and churches which were important for religious but also social reasons. San Vito as the original saint of worship is a mere hypothesis based on the existence of a “curtis s. Viti de Siler” in 1067. According to the tradition the remains of San Vito were buried where the church of San Vito was built.